The withdrawal deadline for a course or program is prior to 70 per cent of the course or program's duration. A student who withdraws from a course after the withdrawal deadline will receive an "F" grade which will be determined and reported to the Office of the Registrar by the course school by the end of the second business day following the last day of the academic term.
Please check withdrawal deadlines and other critical due dates on the Important Dates calendar.
Withdrawal from a Course
A student who wishes to withdraw from an individual course must notify the Office of the Registrar prior to the Withdrawal Deadline (as outlined above) of the term to receive a grade of "W".
Note: Course withdrawals occurring past the official add/drop period will not be eligible for a refund. Unofficial withdrawals (no notification of withdrawal submitted to the Office of the Registrar by the deadline) will result in ‘F' grades.
Withdrawal from the Program
A student who wishes to withdraw from the program must:
- obtain and complete a Program Withdrawal Form; and,
- submit the completed form to your Academic Chair or Program Administrator prior to the Withdrawal Deadline (as outlined above) of the term to receive "W" grades.
Note: A student who withdraws from the program without notifying the Office of the Registrar in writing will not be eligible for any applicable refund of fees, and will be responsible for any fees owing or outstanding. The student's permanent record will show a "Fail" in all courses in which the student was registered.
Refund of tuition
Dates are critical in determining whether you receive a fees refund and how much you will get back.
The following refund procedure applies to students withdrawing from a program:
- If you cancel prior to the program's start date, you'll receive a full tuition refund excluding the non-refundable tuition deposit. You must provide the Office of the Registrar with a cancellation notice — in writing or verbally — before the first day of class. Note: The tuition deposit is only applicable to new students starting the first semester. Review tuition and fees to learn more about our tuition deposit.
- If you cancel on the first day of classes and before the end of the add/drop period for the applicable semester — fall, winter, spring or summer — you will receive a 50% tuition refund, excluding the ancillary fees and non-refundable tuition deposit. You must provide the Office of the Registrar with a cancellation notice in — writing or verbally — within this time frame.
- If you withdraw after the add/drop period, you are not eligible to receive a refund. You must speak with your academic chair, complete a Program Withdrawal form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar. If your withdrawal is due to a medical reason, you must complete the following online form after your program withdrawal form is signed by your academic chair and submitted to the Office of the Registrar.
- International applicants whose study permit is denied by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) may be eligible for a refund of their tuition deposit less a $250 administration fee. You must forward a PDF copy of your IRCC denial letter prior to the first day of classes to be eligible.
Any student expelled from SAIT for any reason is not eligible for a refund. Students who withdraw before completing their program will not receive a SAITSA refund for any academic term — fully or partially completed. Review Tuition and Fees for our full refund policy