Alberta Education announced the decision to make diploma exams optional for students in high schools on the quarter system (November 2020 exam period only). This decision was made after reviewing parent and educational partners’ concerns and suggestions. Although this is a great step, our Board of Trustees will continue to advocate for similar decisions related to the January, April and June diploma examination periods. We will know more in the future months.
Please note the following:
- November 2020 diploma exam writings are optional for students. Students in consultation with their parent/guardian make the decision to write or not write the November 2020 diploma exam.
- If a student chooses not to write the November diploma exam, the student will receive an automatic exemption for that exam as long as the student receives a school-awarded mark for the Quarter 1 diploma course.
- For Part A and Part B exams (ELA and Social, FLA and Etude Sociale), the student must either choose to write or not write both parts. Partial exemptions are not allowed.
- For those students wishing to write diploma exams, each school will be responsible to administer these exams at their site.
- Schools will need to request diploma exams via a supplemental shipment process. To ensure adequate diploma exams are provided to schools in time for students to write them, schools are required to provide the approximate numbers of diploma exams to the Alberta Education by October 20, 2020. ACTION REQUIRED: Parents along with their child MUST complete the google form that is provided to you at the end of this letter.
- In addition to this email, please also read the attachment “November Diploma Exam FAQs” which provides additional information and details regarding the November diploma exams.
- Our Counselling Department has taken a pro active step to call some major Universities to see if a diploma mark from this term will be required for entry to their programs. If it is not listed below, please contact the university you are interested in attending. Here are the ones who have confirmed with us that a diploma mark from this November 2020 sitting will not be needed and that the school based mark will be the official mark.
The following Universities have confirmed they will accept whatever mark is listed on the Alberta Education transcript:
- University of Calgary
- University of Lethbridge
- Mount Royal University (Calgary)
- University of Ottawa
- University of Victoria
- University of Saskatchewan
IMPORTANT ACTION REQUIRED : Diploma Exam November 2020 Declaration form indicating if your child will be writing or not writing their current diploma exam. All diploma students must complete the form.
Background: All previous orders have been cancelled and schools will now need to request diploma exams via a supplemental shipment process with a very short turn around time. To ensure adequate diploma exams are provided to us in time for those students choosing to write them, schools are required to provide the approximate numbers of diploma exams to the Alberta Education before Sunday, October 18th at 11 :59pm.
ACTION REQUIRED: Parents/student MUST complete the google form that is provided to you here: https://forms.gle/iN5URyiyohhiQprQ6 pm before the link closes on Sunday, October 18th at 11 :59pm.