International students are able to work in Canada while they study, provided they are registered as a full-time student at SAIT in a designated learning program. 

Working on campus

To be eligible to work on campus, a student must be registered in full-time classes and have a valid study permit. Working on campus means working on the SAIT campus. Students should contact the Career and Advancement Services for information regarding on-campus employers.

Working off campus

Study permit holders in Canada may gain work experience by working off campus while completing their studies. 

To qualify for off-campus work, you must:

  • have a valid study permit;
  • be a full-time student; and
  • be enrolled in a designated learning program at SAIT.

If you qualify, your study permit will allow you to work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break. 

Visit the IRCC website for further information about working off campus.

Co-op work permit

Some of the programs at SAIT involve students participating in a co-op or internship/practicum work placement. For an international student to participate in a co-op or internship, the work must form an integral part of their studies, and the student must obtain a co-op work permit prior to commencing the work placement.

In order to apply, you must first obtain a letter from the International Centre to confirm you are eligible for a co-op work permit.

A co-op work permit is not valid for any other off-campus work.

Visit the IRCC website for further information about a co-op work permit.

Working after graduation

Upon graduation from a SAIT designated learning program that was a minimum of eight months in length, international students are eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit. This work permit is an open work permit allowing graduates to work for any employer.

An application must be submitted within 90 days of completing your program and you must have a valid study permit when you apply. You will also need to submit proof of your graduation with the application. You can request a letter from the International Centre to confirm this. 

Visit the IRCC website for further information about a post-graduation work permit (PGWP).

Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP)

If you are considering living and working in Alberta permanently after you graduate, the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) can help you, your spouse/common-law partner, and dependent children fast-track your application for permanent residence.

Obtaining your permanent residence status through the AINP takes an average of six to 18 months. The AINP is generally faster than immigration classes, including the Federal Skilled Worker class through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). 

For more information, please visit the AINP website or contact an international student advisor.